Monday, April 10, 2017

Koooorea:) Monday April 10, 2017

We finally made it!

On the boat ride headed to the island!
A sketchy bridge we walked across!

Our district on the Golden Pig on the island this morning. 
Meeting her new companion and her Mission President!



One of Laken's first meals!

McDonald's Delivery Scooters!  Who knew!



Well I officially made it to Korea! We said our goodbyes to our teachers and other missionaries and were off! They gave us instructions and kind of just dropped us off at the bus station. Thankfully we still made it!

After a solid 25 hours of traveling and no sleep on the airplanes, we made it to Korea! Our mission president picked us up from there and took us to the mission home. We were all so exhausted, we were out! The next day we headed straight out to go proscelyte and do a mini training session. After we got assigned our trainer and area. My trainer is Sister Brady! I lucked out, she is amazing! Our personalities get along really well, she's just awesome! She is 29 and from Texas, the story of how she ended up serving a mission is so cool. I look up to her so much. 

My area is called 진해 (Jinhae). It is such a beautiful place! It is right inbetween the mountains and the ocean. The pictures don't do it justice, it is amazing! On top of that right now is the cherry blossom season. Where I am has the biggest Cherry Blossom festival in all of South Korea. It is so beautiful with all of the cherry blossoms every where. They line the side walks like snow. 

So right after I got my new companion we headed out to our Area. It was about a 2 hour bus ride. We had an appointment with an investigator from the English class we teach and were cutting close on time. Lugging luggage around Korea and on and off buses is a huge pain in the butt! When we finally made it to the house, we threw my stuff down and headed out the door. Sister Brady looked and me and said I know you're exhausted, I'm sorry! We took off sprinting down the road to make it to the church on time. On top of it, it was DUMPING rain!!! Here I am, with 5 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours, sprinting down the road in the dark, in a foreign country, in the pouring rain with no umbrella thinking, oh my gosh what am I doing!? When we finally made it to the church, we were an absolute mess! Looking in the mirror at the make up all over our faces and my hair almost as fashionable as a lion, that's about when I realized I was headed into the adventure of a life time. 

The ward here is super sweet. They show their love through food. Which is awesome, except when their food is...well you know, Korean food. I'm convinced I'll never grow to love it. That is some rough stuff. But their intentions are so sweet. The stake president's wife invited us over for dinner, which is a big deal I guess, Koreans don't just call to invite you over unless you call first. She was soo cute. She told us she had been thinking about the new missionary and wanted to make me my first meal in Korea. Meanwhile, I was terrified. Sister Brady was telling me that since it was my first meal they would be watching me closely to see if I liked it and to be really careful about what expressions I made on my face. This would've been awesome if I could've even got it in my mouth. Being able to successfully use chopsticks is a talent that I hope I can learn. I lived through that, ate all the food, and hope I can learn to love it. It's funny because my zone is all Elders, except for Sister Brady and I. The members love Sisters, we get fed 3-4 times a week, where the Elders only go 3-4 times a month. I told them they're more than welcome to eat my share!

This morning for our P-Day we were able to take a boat out to an island to explore with our zone. Korea is such a beauiful place! It was amazing. I feel so thankful that I'm able to serve here. It's really cool to see the church all over the world is in the end the exact same. I can't wait for this adventure that lies ahead and the amazing people there are to meet. I love and miss you all!
I send my love!
Love, Sister Stout

No comments:

Post a Comment